When Irish eyes are smiling, St. Patrick’s Day is probably right around the corner. What began as a religious holiday in Ireland, March 17th is now a world-wide celebration of culture, religion and folklore…mixed with a bit of buffoonery. Though St. Patrick is known as the patron saint of Ireland, he was not born Irish. Originally from England, he became an integral part of Irish heritage, mostly through his missionary service across Ireland in the 5th century.
In the United States, St. Patrick’s Day was first celebrated with banquets at fancy clubs in Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Charleston, SC; and Savannah, GA. New York City hosted the first St. Patrick’s Day Parade in 1762, and by the mid-19th century parades were common across the country. Whether you’re planning on marching to show your Irish pride, cooking corned beef and cabbage, or throwing a party, celebrate in style with some of our more popular St. Paddy’s Day gifts and designs.
St. Patrick’s Day Soft Batch Frosted Vanilla Cookies
Fluffy and soft vanilla cookies with vanilla frosting decorated with green sprinkles or clover.
Yield: roughly two dozen cookies
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 11 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
- 3/4C unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4C granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/4C all purpose flour
- 2 1/2C powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tbsp milk or water
- Sprinkles, a clover, leprechaun or a letter written in green
- Cover and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop dough, shape into smooth balls and gently flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. Allow cookies to rest on baking sheet for one minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cookies have cooled, prepare frosting. In a medium bowl, mix together powdered sugar and butter until evenly dispersed. Add vanilla and 1 Tbsp milk or water at a time until desired icing consistency is reached.
- Frost cookies and immediately top off with sprinkles, a shamrock or little leprechaun. Allow frosting to set or enjoy immediately.
- Once frosting has set completely, store cookies in an airtight container.
Inscribed with a popular Irish quote, our Irish Saying Personalized Plaque was designed just for us by Jillian Yee-Pham. The fun and whimsical cream wood wall plaque wishes you and yours a lucky life. Well-suited to hang over a busy door or entryway, or displayed on a bookshelf or tabletop. The horizontal design comes with up to 16 characters, making the sentiment both heartfelt and personal, $29.99 HERE. Specify family name or message up to 16 characters.
Shop all of our personalized St. Patrick’s Day gifts HERE. Erin Go Bragh! (Ireland Forever! in Gaelic)